If you started your program prior to fall 2016, please follow these program requirements. If you need help selecting an academic program, please contact an advisor.
Advance your career in an award-winning MBA program that can help you gain the skills and abilities desired by today’s employers.
The Master of Business Administration at University of Maryland Global Campus can help you learn how to strategically manage an organization for growth and success. Develop and advance your competencies in finance, marketing, human resources, strategy, and leadership. Apply your learning from multiple disciplines and specializations to real-life business problems.
About the Master of Business Administration
Courses in the MBA curriculum use comprehensive online learning resources and emphasize teamwork, information literacy, technology fluency, systems thinking, ethics, communication, problem solving, and critical thinking. Additionally, the MBA offers you the opportunity to learn from highly qualified experts with significant managerial and leadership experience in emerging areas relevant to your career growth.
What You'll Learn
Through your coursework, you will learn how to
- Create and implement a personal leadership development plan
- Complete a comprehensive analysis of the costs of operations, pricing options, financing, product mix, distribution channels, and supply chain relationships
- Evaluate your cultural intelligence, ethical values, and skills in decision-making, and implement specific actions to leverage your strengths and further develop areas of relative weakness
- Evaluate your organization’s policies for managing legal and ethical risks, with a focus on contracts, agency, and tort law
- Complete an audit of the technology and information systems and processes in your organizations
- Design and develop a marketing plan for a new product or service in both domestic and international markets
- Prepare a personal professional portfolio that includes your key achievements, a brief summary of your strategic leadership skills, and your plan for goal and career advancement
In past projects, students have had the opportunity to
- Analyze costs of operations for an organization using managerial finance techniques
- Determine optimal prices for goods and services by analyzing costs, revenues, and profitability
- Evaluate the opportunities and risks involved in an organization’s decision to expand its operations to a global market by assessing issues of culture, business ethics, employment law, contracts, and criminal law in the context of a global business
- Design and present a marketing plan for a new product or service, including a comprehensive situation analysis, a strong value proposition, an effective marketing mix strategy, and a holistic marketing communications plan
Although the MBA does not directly align with industry certifications, certain courses in the program will expose you to concepts and skills required for passing examinations for certification in the following:
- Certifications from the Association for Strategic Planning, International Strategic Management Association, and the Strategic Management Society
- Certified Scrum Master
- Certified Software Development Professional
- Certified Supply Chain Professional
- Certified Quality Engineer
- CompTIA Project+
- Project Management Professional
Specialized Program Accreditation
This program has received specialized accreditation through the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education, known as IACBE, located at 11374 Strang Line Road in Lenexa, Kansas. IACBE is a specialized accrediting agency recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. Information about academic quality and student achievement can be found in the annual report to IACBE.
Master of Business Administration Requirements
All courses must be taken in the order listed. You must complete each course with a grade of B or better to advance to the next course. The grade of C is not available for these courses.
- Communicating, Problem Solving, and Leading in Professional Fields (6 Credits, PRO 600)
- Leading Organizations and People (6 Credits, MBA 610)
- Financial Decision Making (6 Credits, MBA 620)
- Leading in the Multicultural Global Environment (6 Credits, MBA 630)
- Innovation Through Marketing and Technology (6 Credits, MBA 640)
- Strategic Decision Making (6 Credits, MBA 670)
Whether you are a current student, alumnus, prospective student or employer, Career Services offers you easy access to career-related support and resources.
Current students and alumni can take advantage of many valuable services, including
- Career mapping
- Resume and cover-letter tips
- Job fair preparation
- Resources to find job opportunities
- Strategies for the federal job search
- Interview preparation
Prospective students are eligible for general Career Planning and Career Change advising as it relates to potential UMGC studies only.
If you wish to improve your graduate writing skills, you may take ASC 601, Graduate Writing Skills.
If you want to brush up on your introductory computing skills, you may take ASC 605, Basic Information Technology.
You may transfer exactly 6 credits toward this program if you earned those credits at an approved institution and the course content is equivalent to the introductory course. Fill out a Graduate Transfer Credit Evaluation to find out if your credits may transfer.